Personal Budgets

When you are assessed by your council as being eligible for social care, and after you have been means tested, they will come up with a budget that must cover the cost of meeting your eligible needs. That amount of money can be altered if your needs change. They will also carry out a means-test, to see if you need to contribute.

Provided that you have eligible needs and are not funding care yourself, you can then decide how you want to use the money the council provides in your personal budget.

You can:

  • Have it as a direct payment – paid into an account for you.
  • Have it put into a managed account by the council but spent in line  with your wishes.
  • Have it put into an managed account by a recognised council provider, like Access Your Care but spent in line with your wishes.
  • Put it into an account help with a care service provider and managed by you.
  • Put into a trust held on your behalf by a carer, friend or family member.
  • A mix of the above options.

It’s up to you how you want to receive your personal budget. You should always receive free advice and support from the council or recognised provider to help you make an informed decision.

There are also a range of services being set up by to help you plan how to use a personal budget, although you may need to pay for some of those, often they can be partly or fully funded by the Council if they are a requirement which is highlighted during your initial assessment or subsequent reviews.



Personal Budgets

Request a call